A Classic Picnic

I love going out to eat. I love not having to cook or clean up afterwards and I enjoy looking nice and getting to hang out in a restaurant with my friends or significant other. However, I do not love spending money. And when you go out often, it adds up incredibly quickly. But in all honesty, I think staying in and cooking with someone else can be so much more rewarding than going out (while also saving you money at the same time).

One of my favorite things to do (even more than going out to eat actually) is go on picnics. I love when the weather is nice and I get to make some food or pack some snacks at home and put it all into a bag or basket, grab a blanket, and go spend time with people I love. It is a great way to go on a date or spend time with friends without breaking the bank. If you're going on a picnic with a group of people, it is always nice to ask everyone to chip in and bring some food as well so everyone can share between themselves. There are a handful of places that I absolutely love to go on picnics at in the Bay Area and there are definitely more than this small little list. In my opinion, some of the best parks are around this area.

My first picnic spot is Mission Dolores Park in San Francisco. If you are at all familiar with San Francisco, you know about this park. And you also know that even when the sun comes out just a little bit, the park is packed with people who are also trying to soak up as much sun as possible before it's gone. While some people might not like the crowds on days like this, I think it really adds to the park's atmosphere. You can meet some incredible people here and there are always a handful of people with their guitars and other instruments playing music for others to listen to. I highly recommend if you're going on a picnic at this park, to bring a blanket to sort of claim your spot.

Image result for dolores park

The next picnic spot that I like if you live right in the city is by the Conservatory of Flowers in Golden Gate Park. While this is another staple of San Francisco, I genuinely believe you can't go wrong with this option. While it costs money to actually go inside the conservatory, the surrounding area in front of the greenhouse is totally public and absolutely beautiful. However, on every first Tuesday of the month admission into the conservatory is totally free! So definitely take advantage of that if you're able. There are many other options of where to picnic or hang out in Golden Gate Park (the park is over three miles long), but this is a personal favorite of mine.

Image result for conservatory of flowers

Last picnic spot is for those who would rather get a little bit out of the city for their picnic. Although I do love the city, sometimes getting a little out of the noise is nice and when I want to do that I usually go to Point Reyes National Park in Marin. It is about an hour outside of the city and trust me it is definitely worth it. There are tons of options in this area but I really like Agate Beach. You could also go to the actual part of the park that is called Point Reyes and have a picnic by a lighthouse! Maps are pretty easy to navigate through here and I've never had an issue with parking so you really can't go wrong.

Image result for agate beach ca

Picnics are a great activity to do when you want to save money but still feel like you're going out! Make something fun at home that is easy to transport (I've made everything from cheese boards to sandwiches to homemade sushi) and make a day of it. I promise you will enjoy yourself.

Comments

Popular Posts